April 22, 2010

Kitchen 4 - Making puff pastry, sweet rich short crust pastry and a purple broccoli and salsify salad

Well, like I mentioned yesterday the making of puff pastry is similar to that of flaky pastry. I am a pastry fan so I liked making it. What makes it more enjoyable than flaky pastry is also that you add all the butter in the beginning and then you just roll and fold and don't worry about adding more fat in the right consistency. My dough seemed alright after its fifth roll and fold. But I guess the mystery of whether it is any good will be solved tomorrow when we acutally bake it.

The 0ther thing that was great about today in addtion to making two pastries was that we were allowed to "rub" the butter in with the magimix. I really have to get one of those machines. That ingrease the joy of pastry making greatly.

Finally we make "our lunch" - another lovely Ottolenghi recipe and the first time I worked with salsify which looks like fresh horseradish and has - when cooked - a consistency which is a mix out of potatos and carrot. Tastewise, well, not so pronounced. It was lovelier after having been fried in butter. But the whole salad (I dare call it) was a great composition with the beurre noisette "dressing":

No comments:

Post a Comment