October 28, 2009

Kitchen 22 - Stock, Christmas Cake, Mushroom soup & Fried sirloin steak

Right, so yesterdays browned bones and veg came into action today - again with a lot of love and care and some water to be turned into a beautiful brown chicken stock.

Once we got that on, Santa Claus was pocking his head into class in form of making the famous English Christmas cake. Never had it, never tasted it! So another first time! And even though I saw the dem on cakes and had revised my cake making rules, plus even had it written down, I managed to forget the eggs in before I added the flour. Suddenly I thought: "This mixture is really dry!" Luckily, I still managed to incorporate it and the cake rose as it was supposed to:


The third task to be mastered was frying a sirloin steak to exactly the right doneness (if that word exists?!!?) Well, we had learned about the "rough" times for frying but this was more aimed at feeling the meat and judging the stages of frying that way. We had two steaks. The first one we took out after certain times to get blue, rare, medium rare and medium. Then the second one only had one go and had to come out just right without cutting it open before it was served.

I was aiming for medium rare and this is what it looked like:


Well, I was very close to getting the graduation - the cooking stages right on the spot. I was pretty proud of myself, I have to admit. ;-)

To finish off a morning of cooking, we made a mushroom soup. Unfortunately, I was a bit generous on the salt. But I liked it nonetheless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment