October 1, 2009

Kitchen 2 - Arranged fruit salad, Crudité with Hummus

Well, well, well, first day in the kitchen making dishes yesterday was very exciting. And nerv wrecking. The "menu" might not sound too difficult. But we had to work under time pressure.

Plus, how do I normally make a fruit salad? I chop all my fruits into eating size pieces, all goes in a bowl, mix and that's it. Not so here. First of all, there is a couli, a combination sauce to be made and then arrange the fruits beautifully on top/next to it for presentation purposes. As learned the day before.

All of this - not so easy because you only get one go at presentation. So you have to plan ahead, maybe even make a little drawing of what you were thinking of doing. For you also have to keep in mind not to overhandle the ingredients.

So when I had to put the fruits on my mirror of mango-passionfruit couli my hands were shaking. I couldn't believe it. So nervous and so much adrenalin!

Well, this is what my fruit salad looked like in the end.

Arranged Fruit Salad


Crudité with Hummus

After that we had to prepare hummus and the vegetables for dipping. The vegetables had to be cut according to the newly acquired knife skills. Carrots had to be cut into perfectly square batons - we were marked on those. And the difficulty with the hummus is to get the seasoning right. Get the right balance between salt and lemon juice. And finally, it is also and again about presentation!!!!


So, after that class I was - again - totally exhausted but I also felt really good because I had a feeling I had achieved something. May it be even just so small!

No comments:

Post a Comment