October 7, 2009

Kitchen 7 - Quiche Lorraine and half a Shepherd's Pie

In the afternoon then it was back to putting my own hands to work again. - By the way, I have not cut myself so far! Maybe now that I have said that it will happen.

But everything went well when cutting the bacon and onions for my Quiche Lorriane filling. The taks to be managed perfectly was to produce a Quiche Lorraine that is well cooked BUT has not colour. Pale as the winter morning light! Basically. ;-)

Well, so bacon and onion chopped finely AND in UNIFORM sizes. Another thing that in a professional kitchen is always important is that everything has the same size! Then the onions had to be sweated and AGAIN no colour allowed. So patience is needed because it is a loooooooooong slooooooooow cooking process. Really testing or rather extending my patience! So of you might think: Finally! ;-)

Well, and since good things come to those who wait here we go:



I must admit with all these things to remember and all these methods to get right. I forgot to season the mixture before it went into the blind-baked pastry shell. Now one might think that is not such a big deal, especially because we are using WHITE pepper on these supposedly pale dishes. But it showed anyway. But taste is still more important than looks. So I had to take the risk:


So can you see the tiny brown sprinkles. Yes...no...maybe! Well, the teacher saw them. BUT she really liked my seasoning. So, I am happy with that. She also liked the way I lined the pastry. It was actually quite difficult to get it into the 6 inch flan ring.

And even I who is not the biggest fan of Quicke because of all the egg involved had to admit that it was indeed quite nice.


Can you see my beautiful uniform cubes of onion and bacon!?!?!?! ;-) Just kidding!

After that we had to prepare the filling for our individual Shepherd's Pies - grand old Yorkshire dish - if I am not mistaken! Again everything chopped in uniform sized cubes - meat and veg BROWNED this time round, stock added and cooked until veg and meat were tender. This is what it looked like:

No comments:

Post a Comment