The making of flaky pastry, however, was not all new to me because last term we were shown rough puff pastry and the basics are similar. So similar that I am not sure I have understood fully the difference between the two. Basically you make a dough base or a basic dough out of water, fat and flour which then is rolled and folded in a special way, adding more fat as you roll and fold.
Maybe the difference lies in the detail of the ingredients, I don't know. But I will be able to clear that up tomorrow because that is when we are having a go at making flaky pastry.
But today's demonstration class was as usual not just about seeing how it's done but also about tasting. So on the sweet side of things we had some Palmiers which can be discribed as little biscuits maybe:
And a French Tart:
Whereas on the savoury side we had a yummy steak and mushroom pie also with flaky pastry and caramelised onion and goats cheese tarts:
The hot watercrust pastry (which has similarities to choux pastry where you melt fat in hot water and add that to a flour mixture) we saw come together in a veal and ham raised pie.
If only the day had endless hours and I had time to make and experiment with all of these recipes...
No comments:
Post a Comment