January 14, 2010

Kitchen 4 - Flaky Pastry, Poaching a chicken and serving Crème caramel

Well, I have to admit it. There's no way around it. I like making pastry. Today first venture into flaky pastry making was fun. I mean obviously things were far from perfect this first time around but I really enjoyed it.

And I found out a bit about the differences about rough puff, puff and flaky pastry. Whereas the method might look similar, it's all about the what kind and how much fat is incorporated, plus you have to get the temperatures right. That is as much as I could find out because we are not supposed to know about these things just yet. It's one step at a time and puff pastry is next term. But at least we know that much.

However, apart from preparing the pastry for the chicken pie for tomorrow we also poached the chicken that goes in the pie while making a stock at the same time.

Finally it was service time for your Crème caramel which for the first time I actually really enjoyed. Maybe I never had a nice one before. And because it was so popular, it was going pretty quickly:

No comments:

Post a Comment