January 12, 2010

Kitchen 2 - Risotto alla Milanese and Chocolate and orange cake

Day 2 and on the menu one of the most difficult things to cook, I think: Risotto. I love risotto, but I do think it is quite tricky to get the consistency right. That you get the al dente of the rice and that it is not too liquidy, but also not of the consistency that you could use it to fill the grouting between your bathroom tiles.

So we took on that task today. And the constant gentle stirring and the carful adding of the stock worked its magic and I ended up with a decent risotto that the teacher thought was quite good in consistency AND I managed to get the seasoning right on the spot:


The other thing - which we actually tended to first - was the chocolate and orange cake. BUT whereas the making wasn't the problem, the desaster happened when I tried to take the two cake tins out of the oven. They were on a baking sheet and all of a sudden they started to slide and then FELL OFF OF IT.

However, nonetheless I was determined to serve what I was able to save. I had to cut the cake a bit smaller with a pastry cutter. But with the icing and a bit of granish on the top, I think it did look quite nice in the end:


No comments:

Post a Comment