January 19, 2010

Kitchen 7 - Still working that pie and Partridge with lentils, bacon and thyme

Oh, I don't know about today. Working on the pie was fine, but I don't think I am a big fan of feathers game after all. It was not just that awful plucking experience last term. The taste and consistency of these birds just does not appeal to me although the recipe was nice and the lentils (even though they took forever to soften) with the bacon, onions and thyme lovely. Oh well, I guess I cannot be a fan of everything.

The other task of the day - the filling of the chilled pastry case and sealing it with the lid was fun. However, then - again - came the tricky part: cooking it without the case bursting under the pressure of the filling. To prevent that from happening we wrapped a collar of paper around the outside of it for the first good hour of baking. That helped a bit - but still all pies where leaking a bit. Now we have to let them cool until tomorrow and then they can be filled with aspic. So, the pie story continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment