November 10, 2009

Kitchen 29 - Christmas Cake, Shortbread and Crèpes Suzette

New week - new luck - new recipes! And trying not to set yourself on fire because today was our first time flambéing. I have never done it and I must say, I was a bit nervous about it.

But first things first: Christmas cake. Last week - I forgot to mention it - we fed our Christmas cakes with some alcohol to keep it moist and give it some nice flavour. I was lucky to have a share of a bottle of Drambuie, a whiskey liquer. Now today we had to take it out of the tin, trim it and then make our own marzipan to cover it. I was very excited about making marzipan. I know a lot of people don't like, but I do. However, I was not too impressed by it after all. I found it a bit dry. Nevertheness, it did its purpose, i.e. cover the cake.

Then we made some shortbread - again alot of whisking today. My arm was having a field day.

And finally we came to flambéing with the crepes Suzette. I love making crepes, but never had a go at crepes Suzette. So delicious that smell of orange from the Grand Marnier and of course, the orange itself. Flambéing went fine. I felt very professional doing it! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment