November 18, 2009

Kitchen 36 - Individual apple tarts with crème Anglaise and Pecan blondies

Although there was not that much to do in this class, I felt a bit like everything was all over the place. But it all came together in the end.

We had to finish off the individual apple tarts for which we had made the pastry yesterday. Cut the apple in thin slices and decorate on top of the pastry disk. In the oven they goes and while that is happening, you can make the crème Anglaise - carefully so it wouldn't split. That then had to be arranged on a board and served:

We were marked on the pastry, the apple arrangement and - not to be forgotten - the glazing of the tart (which we did for the first time, at least at Leiths) as well as the crème Anglaise. If I am not mistaken. Well, my pastry disk was not a perfect circle, a bit more like a cloud but they all ( I made four) looked the same. So at least they were uniform! Glazing was good, if I remember correctly. And I managed not to over-cooked the crème Anglaise. So I guess, not too bad overall!

We also made some pecan blondies. Blondies are like brownies but they are light in colour - go figure! ;-) But those won't be served until Friday...with the coffee ice cream we started yesterday and whizz up today to make it smooth. So yummy! Really looking forward to Friday now!

No comments:

Post a Comment